Functions, Parameters and Fitting for Teaching Calculus
Date: Tuesday, January 8th, 2013; 9:00am - 4:00pm
This page is where we will post materials used in our workshop.
Introduction and Anotomy of a Model
Derivatives and Anti-derivatives
- Taylor Polynomials vs Least Squares
- Estimating the precision of parameters
- Picking Model Terms 1 (2nd degree polynomials)
- Picking Model Terms 2 (Tukey's Bulge Rules)
- Eyeballing Interactions/Parial Derivatives
- Eyeballing parameters (Stan Wagan's paper on cooling water)
- Kepler-Mars (data from Michael P. McLaughlin's Tutorial on Mathematical Modeling)
- Flow to Volume
- Integration by Eye
- Engine speed and power
- Ideal Gas Law and Mass Action
- Health Policy
- Maximum Heart Rate
Resources from Others
- Dan Flath's site for Applied Calculus, Math 135 at Macalester, including a day-by-day syllabus.
- Ben Baumer's activity on fitting power laws using Tukey's Power Rule and the Ladder of Powers
Support for this workshop has been provided by ...